Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Day 35 - Goodbye San Fran! Hello LA!

Day 35 = June 13

Pix of cute things in my SF host home:
































(my mustachioed hostess Liz on right and left)

Breakfast was at Tartine w/Jason. He let me off on Sunday night as long as I had promised to have breakfast at Tartine. It is apparently not to be missed. He had taken Jon Tyson (pastor of the Trinity Grace Churches in NYC) there several times when he stayed w/him and Jon had taken dearly to their famous morning muffins which have orange marmalade in the middle but are made somewhat like cinammon buns. I must admit, they are pretty great. Sorry, I forgot to take any pics there. It was great to have had so much time to talk and hang with him. And kind of weird saying goodbye. I’m not likely to be back in San Fran very soon I don’t think, and it’s likely that whenever we see each other next we’ll be old & married. At least old! Haha. :)

Took my flight to LA and happily reunited with my friend Simona. She, her son Amos, and our friend Lena’s daughter Elizabeth, all came along to welcome me. We then drove into Silver Lake and picked up Tommy from the venue (The Satellite) for a short hang. Ended up going to Fatburger for a late lunch. You can imagine, from the name. Great, awful-for-you food. Mm-mm.

Dropped by Simona’s & met she & Ernesto’s awesome cat, Benjamin Button (female). She apparently looked very ugly and old when purchased, but connected best w/their son Amos. She is a total sweetheart. Tommy held her like a baby, as usual.

We dropped him back by the venue for load in & sound check and returned back to the apt. I napped and etc. and then met Ed Carey (pastor of Hope Int'l - the church which shares the building with Kairos which I helped start in 2002-2005 along w/Simona & many other friends) and drove over to The Satellite w/him.


(photo stolen from Facebook)








He's kinda like a Sean Connery character guy, I say. Tough and loving at the same time. You don't ever wanna be on his bad side, but you're super blessed if you're on his good side. :) When he took over Hope Int'l ten years ago or more, he was saving a dying church. It's about 70-80 yrs old now? Anyway, he came in and interviewed everyone to see what the problems were. Found out the choir was the stage of most of the divisions and took it out w/a sledge hammer in his first service. No kiddin'.

It's doing well now. Every day they get about 2 tons of leftover food from Trader Joe's delivered, which goes out to about 5 ministries, from one small room! They also have a recovery house for addicts there. When I walk in to the church, the steps are like a scene from the pool of Bethesda in the Bible. The poor, the halt, the lame, the blind... (I don't know what 'the halt' means, just have heard it a bunch - is that King James English??) It definitely gives the feeling that the kingdom of God is coming to earth. Anyhow, when the 60+ young folks from across the country came out (mostly from the VA Tech area) to start Kairos, he took a special shine to the raggedy bunch of us from MN (7 or 8 of us), as we seemed to be sort of afterthoughts to the group. So he was pretty excited to meet Tommy and come out & support. Yay!

We also met my friends Vinay & Stacey and my friend Shannon at the venue. Stacey was a roomie of mine in LA and one of the 8 or so folks from MN. She met Vinay in LA and they married in Vegas - everyone has to have one friend marry there, right? Shannon and Stacey and I were all assistant store managers at Spruce together in 2003, which was an environmentally friendly dry-cleaning chain starting up. ANYWAY. It was great to connect up together! Always is. Here's a pic of us (L to R - Shannon, Stacey, me):











So, the show! It rocked, as usual. I tried to soak it all in as it's my last FC show for a little while. Last night to see Tommy. Shannon, standing next to me, looked over and said, "They are really good." I said, "yeah, they better be! this is my 8th show in one month!" I forget how thankful I should be about that. Because I liked Tommy before I'd ever seen them play, before our trips mystically intertangled and all that. How awkward 'twould have been if I hadn't adored them!

































After the show, my friends needed to take off, but Tommy had introduced us all to a fan who I believe caught all 3 of the shows near/in LA - Angelia Jones. She drove me out to the Cafe 101 or whatever it is called, to have some late night snax w/the FC band & friends. This included some tuna melts & chocolat-y ice cream goodness if I remember correctly. Soo sooooooo tired tho'. Ach! It was nice to have some last last moments before Tommy shot off into the last leg of his trip, but wow, keeping eyes open was very hard. One last hug goodbye after, and Angelia drove me home. Goodbye FC crew! I'll not see my bonny boy after this for 10 long days, until I get home. We'll make it. Just sad to see him go.

No comments:

Post a Comment