Thursday, May 26, 2011

Day 18 - Nashville: Scorpions & Cowboys

We flew in from DC and arrived at Gail and Dick Persiko's home in Hendersonville (which I suppose is considered a Nashville suburb?) at noon. Gail is my mom's best friend, and her daughters were best friends with my sister Nicole and I while growing up. So staying with them is really just staying with family. :)

[photo removed by request]

Gail spent some time with us, catching up w/me and orienting us to Nashville. We then took naps and showered, and had supper with Gail & Dick when he got home from work. Erel is an actress and is therefore very observant of people...she said later that Gail reminded her of Meryl Streep, with the twinkle in her eye and her sense of humor. I can see it now, tho' I would never have thought of that myself.

After supper we decided to venture into Nashville and investigate 'Broadway' - sort of the main drag down there. We did some shopping, where I was aghast to learn that people sold suckers with real scorpions in them (w/out their poisonous stings). That is disgusting. That's all I have to say about that. Altho' in college I was much better trained about cultural choices than that. Things aren't bad, they're just different. Whatever. It's gross. If I'm in some other country where it's all people have to eat, and it will wound them to refuse their hospitality, I'll accept graciously (I hope). But until then, I'm jus' sayin'...



















We finally found a bar with country music that was a little quieter than Tootsie's and all the rest which were just bar after bar with music blaring from every one and packed with people. We sat down for a bit there at Cadillac Ranch and enjoyed songs like 'She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy'. Very country. :) Finally, we went home to the Persiko's and slid into a deep sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment