Thursday, May 19, 2011

Day 12 - Wedding in Brooklyn.

Christa left early for work. I slept in and went running. It was easier to run than at the lakes in Minneapolis for some reason, maybe all the hustle and bustle of everyone gave me energy.

By the end of the day, which had entailed at least 3 hours of walking, I realized I didn't really need that exercise after all!

First order of importance was to find a wedding present for my friends Chris (Domig) & Janelle (Garcia-now-Domig), since I hadn't had room in my suitcase to pack one. I wanted to go to the little shops on Fifth Avenue, but it turns out that they aren't open in the mornings on weekdays, so I looped back around to shop at Target. I kept praying I would find the perfect thing. I did! Since I imagine they are on honeymoon now and this pic won't be a spoiler, I will post it...
























So don't tell them, ok? They should get to open it themselves. I liked it so much I wanted one for myself, but this kind of thing doesn't really fit in your suitcase. ;)



















The wedding itself was pretty awesome. It was in the Green Building on Union which was about 2 blocks from the place I lived in Brooklyn for 5 years, right beside the place (the bridge) where I used to pray, over the Gowanus Canal. Quite a beautiful space, as you can see. Many old friends from church were there who it was great to see! And the sermon given was perhaps my favorite ever at a wedding...I asked for a copy and the pastor pulled it out of his folder and gave me his. The stories shared were lovely, and since they are so enmeshed w/the arts (Chris is an actor and both he and Janelle are involved with film), there was quite a bit of singing involved in them - including at one point, the entire building singing Edelweiss spontaneously (Chris is from Austria)(his parents protest that no one in Austria actually knows that song).




































The couple pictured above here are Paul Shin & Michelle Kim (married/different last names). They are so dear to me. They were also at the wedding; Michelle was the photographer... Some of you know we went to the same church in LA and then years later we 'randomly' (ie not randomly at all, we think) ran into each other in Brooklyn one Sunday, and the rest is history. Michelle may now be in possession of incriminating photos of me dancing my heart away that eve, I am not sure! In any case, it was a splendid day all told. During it, Jamie arrived to town from Ohio and settled in at Christa's, and Tommy left me the best ever long voice mail from Altoona, PA where he was on a hill somewhere overlooking the town very peacefully and watching a windmill on another hill far away. Something about the wealth of description he gave made me feel as if I were there experiencing it with him. I hope I can do the same here in this blog... it reminds me of how my family will say, when I am blogging regularly, that they feel very connected to me. I say, yes, but I still need to know what's going on in all your lives! So - I encourage more of you to blog too, if you feel so inclined. :)

Back at Christa's that night, I arrived in the dark and sleep came and took me quickly. Wedding day at an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment