Sunday, May 22, 2011

Day 17 - Washington DC

The day began with a Georgetown cupcake for breakfast (& some fruit of course), provided by Leeor. These are legendary and very difficult to come by. But personally, I think I am a) not a very cupcake-y person overall, and b) think 'Baked by Melissa' mini-muffins in NYC are superior. However, sadly I did not obtain any said mini-muffins on this trip. Which just means I'll have to come back to NY sometime! ;) (I was very thankful for my cupcake breakfast tho' Leeor!)



















We ventured out on a bus that left from right in front of the apartment complex and took us to the subway. There, we descended into the belly of the beast. Seriously one of the longest escalator rides down we have ever taken. Exhibit A:



















We rode along in the surprisingly clean DC subway train.



















We emerged at Union Station. Visited Capitol Hill. Sat a long while at the Capitol Hill Reflecting Pool where we consulted Erel's iphone to figure out if it was reflective or if it was where politicians went to reflect before making important decisions. Saw a number of excellent ducks & ducklings.










































We then meandered over to the United States Botanical Gardens, wandered through and smelled the flower-heavy air, while it rained outside.





















Making our way in the direction of the long reflecting pool near the Lincoln Monument (which I wanted to see), and the Vietnam Memorial Museum (which Dr. de Rosset had suggested), we turned back and the sky was amazing around Capitol Hill. In the other direction, it was not too shabby behind the Washington Monument either.





































On our way, we did a little shopping, discovered the Newseum which displays each state's front pages all in a row, and the International Spy Museum (where I bought a spy hat). We also saw the White House, though it was smallish and far away from the bars we could view it through.

We did (barely) make it to the Washington Monument, but our time was running out. We settled for glancing over at the Lincoln Monument, and (I settled for) griping over the non-existent long reflecting pool which apparently was under construction, and had to skip the Vietnam War Memorial. All this to say, this definitely warrants another trip to DC to see the many things I have missed, preferably in spring when the cherry blossoms are out.





































The night ended with another Farewell Continental show at the Rock & Roll Hotel! Erel and I met up w/Jeff Kursonis, with whom I helped start Communion of the Arts (CotA - which was a church for artists & those interested in that sort of thing even if not artistically inclined themselves) in Manhattan, and Tommy came to join us next door to the venue for some eats & drinks. 'Twas sort of a beer garden place, and Jeff declared it his new favorite place in DC. Once caught up we meandered over for the show. Each show I go to, the music gets more into me somehow. I danced like a crazy person.



















I took a few pics of their synchronized moves:










































Afterward, a guy who seemed to be around 20 said to me as he left, "I have been to a lot of shows and you are the best dancer I've ever seen." Totally sweet thing to say. :) No, Mom, he was not hitting on me, because if he was, obviously Tommy would have to beat him up. ;)

This pic was at the end. L to R in mirror: myself, Erel, Jeff. Goodnight, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment