Sunday, May 1, 2011

Day 1 - Thoughts Before Sleep












(silly t-shirt I wanted to get Tommy but it did not come in his size :) )

We left at one pm and had meant to leave at noon, and since the cutie pie babes of my friend Jen and her hubby go to bed around that time, we tried really hard to get into Neenah before then. This meant not much lollygagging en route – and I really love lollygagging sometimes – but the weather was coldish/overcast and the scenery was mainly fields and silos and barns. Were it warmer I could have spent a long time wandering around laying in fields and admiring/photographing dilapidated barns.

It's definitely Wisconsin. Funny story - the following discussion was had at a gas station/rest stop -

Jamie: “can you tell me where the bathroom is?''

Guy Behind Counter: ““yeah, they’re just over there beyond the deer heads”

Seeing my old friend Jen (Falk) Gray and meeting her hubby Eric & 2 adorable children Norah Rosalie (2) and Theodore Linford (8 mo.) - not to mention their excellent Weimeraner (sp?) Asher - has been great! Love Jen so much and we are so at home chatting that it seems impossible that 11 years or so have passed since our paths last crossed in Chicago. Talking about the poetry scene and old school friends and profs has been great. Her house is very 'her' - it spoke out her personality when I saw it. Everything here seems utterly charming, even the chaos which is expected when you have a family. ANYWAY - you'll understand more how charming they all are once you have some pix. I shall put up some albums on Shutterfly and give you all a link soonly.

Evening ended w/Osama death announcements on television. It's one of those things I imagine you always remember where you were when you heard it. I remember when the towers fell - I had to wake up the street kids living with me and drag the tv into the living room for us all to watch it...Thinking about how we all sit together and process deaths as tragedies or triumphs. Thinking about governments and media hype and justice and injustice...it seems some of the poetry I grabbed on my way out the door for my readings may have been well chosen. Which reminds me - Jamie's boyfriend runs a family-style open mic in Youngstown, Ohio and the feature (a rapper) fell through, so now I'M the feature. I'm not at all sure my stuff is ideal for 'the whole family' - I might depress the kids!! - but I'm game for anything and I suppose now I have 15 min. to an hour to say whatever I want to say! On Mother's Day. I think I'll read the one I wrote for my mom. :) Anyway, I'm soooooooo tired and rambling now and Jamie's a light sleeper so I need to actually go to sleep for her to be able to drop off. So, bye for now! Have a good night, all. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment